|ISAF recalled advisors in Afghan ministries|
|Written by Rahim Aria|
|Monday, 27 February 2012|
The International Security Assistance Forces (ISAF) has recalled advisors from all Afghan ministries following the murder of two ISAF military advisors by an Afghan officer inside the compound of the Afghan ministry of interior on Saturday, ISAF officials said.
ISAF commander, Gen. John Allen said in a statement that he has recalled the advisors from all Afghan ministries for safety reasons.
“For obvious force protection reasons, I have also taken immediate measures to recall all other ISAF personnel working in ministries in and around Kabul," the commander of the international forces, Gen. John Allen said.
The Afghan ministry of interior said the attacker who was working as an intelligence officer in ministry of interior has escaped after the murder but the ministry did not share more details about the incident.
Taliban claimed the responsibility for the murder of two American advisors and a statement of this group says that the attacker was a member of the Taliban who has been instructed to kill the American advisors in revenge for the burning of Quran by the U.S forces in Bagram airbase.
The President of Afghanistan, Hamid Karzai has expressed sympathy for the killing of two American military advisors in Afghan ministry of interior.
The killing of these two advisors inside the ministry of interior has increased the concerns about the infiltration of the Taliban secret agents inside the Afghan security forces at the time that International forces are preparing to leave Afghanistan and hand over the security to Afghan forces.
Meanwhile, in the seventh day of the protests against the incineration of Quran by the U.S forces in Bagram airbase, protestors in northern Kunduz province threw hand grenades inside a U.S. base in this province and wounded seven U.S soldiers, the police chief of Kunduz province said.
The police chief of Kunduz province said that armed rebels infiltrated among protestors and they attacked the police forces and a military base of the U.S forces.
Taliban has called on Afghan security forces to take revenge from American for the burning of Quran, leave their jobs and joint the Taliban rebels.
Incineration of Quran inside the Bagram airbase has sparked a series of deadly protests across Afghanistan and thousands of people in various provinces took to the streets and clashed with Afghan police and foreign forces. In Eastern, Western and Northen parts of the country, protestors clashed with police and burned police vehicles.
Afghan officials said that 50 people were killed and nearly 250 others were wounded in a week of protests for incineration of Quran by the foreign forces in Afghanistan.
Commander of the International forces in Afghanistan, Gen. John Allen apologized about the incident and said that coalition forces improperly disposed some Quran and other religious materials in Bagram airbase but he insisted that the incident was “not intentional.”
“On behalf of the entire International Security Assistance Force, I extend my sincerest apologies to the people of Afghanistan. Along with our apology to the Afghans is our certainty and assurance to them, that these kinds of incidents, when they do occur, will be corrected in the fastest and most appropriate manner possible." Gen. Allan said.
U.S. military officials in Bagram airbase troops had suspected that insurgents were using Quran for communication and sending “extremist” messages.
The U.S. embassy was lockdown and it asked the staff to stay inside the compounds and suspend travels until “further notice”.
Last year hundreds of protestors were killed and wounded in deadly protests against the act of burning Quran by an American priest. Protestors also killed several European employees of the United Nations office in Balkh province.
Photo: U.S Army
|< Prev||Next >|
Camberra, Australia - A former inmate at the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay has dropped a lawsuit against the Australian government that accused it of complicity in torture he says he suffered while in detention. Mamdouh Habib reached an out-of-court settlement with the government for an undisclosed sum, both parties said Saturday. Habib, an Australian citizen, was arrested in Pakistan in late 2001 and held for three years without charge before being returned to Australia in 2005.