|Twin suicide bombings and ISAF air strike kill Afghan civilians|
|Written by Rahim Aria|
|Thursday, 07 June 2012|
At least 40 Afghans civilians were killed in suicide attacks and ISAF air strikes in Southern Afghanistan on Wednesday, Afghan officials said.
In the first incident, two suicide bombers attacked the Kandahar airbase the home for thousands of US forces in Kandahar province on Wednesday which killed 22 and wounded 50 Afghan civilians, officials in Kandahar province said.
“22 civilian killed & 50 others wounded in 2 suicide bombings.” The Kandahar media office tweeted in its twitter page.
The blasts took place at the parking lot of the US base where thousand of western-contracted supply trucks were waiting for entry to the base.
That was a brutal attack of Taliban on Afghan civilians in 2012 and after the last December suicide attack against a Shia shrine in Kabul city which killed and wounded hundreds of civilians.
In another incident in southern Logar province, an ISAF airstrike has targeted a wedding party in this province, killing at least 18 people including children and women, Afghan officials in Logar said.
ISAF forces denied the incident and said that during a hunting operation for a Taliban commander in Barak Baraki district of Logar province, multiple rebels were killed in the air strike and forces on the ground seized weapons and explosives.
“While conducting a follow-on assessment, the security force discovered two women who had sustained non-life-threatening injuries. The security force provided medical assistance and transported both women to an ISAF medical facility for treatment.”
A press statement of the ISAF forces said. The Afghan President had denounced the killing of civilians in Logar province and said such incidents cannot be accepted According to the United Nations office, last year nearly 3,000 Afghan civilians were killed in clashes between the Taliban and the ISAF forces in Afghanistan.
Civilian casualties remains a hot topic in Afghanistan and despite the efforts made by Human rights organizations and international community, both Taliban and the NATO forces are continuing to kill the Afghan civilians.
|Last Updated ( Thursday, 07 June 2012 )|
|< Prev||Next >|
Camberra, Australia - A former inmate at the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay has dropped a lawsuit against the Australian government that accused it of complicity in torture he says he suffered while in detention. Mamdouh Habib reached an out-of-court settlement with the government for an undisclosed sum, both parties said Saturday. Habib, an Australian citizen, was arrested in Pakistan in late 2001 and held for three years without charge before being returned to Australia in 2005.