|Taliban attacks kill Afghan civilians|
|Written by Rahim Aria|
|Tuesday, 10 July 2012|
In recent brutal attacks of Taliban against the Afghan civilians, on Monday a series of armed attacks and explosions in southern and northern Afghanistan killed and wounded dozens of Afghan civilians, Afghan officials said.
Officials said that a series of armed attacks and suicide bombings in Southern Kandahar province where is known as the birthplace of the Taliban movement, killed and wounded more than 20 Afghan civilians and police forces.
In a separate attack in Kandahar province, seven Taliban who had been holed up position inside a school were killed by the Afghan security forces, the media office of Kandahar province tweeted in its twitter account.
“Latest casualty updates: 14 insurgents killed, 3 cops killed, 6 civilian wounded, 18 cops wounded. Everything is calm and quiet now.”
In another incident in northern Afghanistan, a bike laden with bomb went off in front of the Police HQ of Jowazjan province which killed two Afghan civilians and wounded 20 Afghan civilians, officials said.
Jowazjan is a relatively secure province in northern Afghanistan where the central Asian terrorist groups are active and carry out attacks against the Afghan government and NATO forces.
Over the past one month, the level of civilian casualties by the Taliban has reached to peak since the fall of this regime in 2001 and reports are indicating that most civilian casualties are causing by the Taliban’s roadside mines, suicide bombings and armed attacks.
Two weeks ago Taliban fighters stormed a hotel in western part of Kabul city and killed more than 100 Afghan civilians.
According to the United Nations office, last year nearly 3,000 Afghan civilians were killed in clashes between the Taliban and the ISAF forces in Afghanistan.
Civilian casualties remains a hot topic in Afghanistan and despite the efforts made by Human rights organizations and international community, both Taliban and the NATO forces are continuing to kill the Afghan civilians.
|Last Updated ( Tuesday, 10 July 2012 )|
|< Prev||Next >|
Camberra, Australia - A former inmate at the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay has dropped a lawsuit against the Australian government that accused it of complicity in torture he says he suffered while in detention. Mamdouh Habib reached an out-of-court settlement with the government for an undisclosed sum, both parties said Saturday. Habib, an Australian citizen, was arrested in Pakistan in late 2001 and held for three years without charge before being returned to Australia in 2005.